Help us reach our goal of 5000 outdoor ornaments for the Capitol Christmas Tree!
Washington State will provide the U. S. Capitol Christmas Tree this year. The grand tree will come from the Colville National Forest located in northeast Washington. This tree symbolizes our theme, “Sharing Washington’s Good Nature,” and will be a gift to the nation from the people of Washington. The tree will serve as the holiday centerpiece on the lawn at the U.S. Capitol in
Ornaments should be designed to reflect our theme “Sharing Washington’s Good Nature,” which highlights the natural resources, scenic beauty and amazing people in the state.
Who Can Participate
We invite participation from all people living in Washington State. Individuals, artists, crafters, young and old alike are invited to create and send in an ornament.
Kind of Ornaments Needed
We have met our indoor ornament goal, so the push is on to reach our goal of 5,000 ornaments for the outdoor tree.
Submit an Ornament to Win a Trip to the Tree Lighting Ceremony
Traditionally, one child from the tree’s state lights the Capitol Christmas Tree with the Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. Children who have submitted ornaments are invited to enter a drawing to win a trip, accompanied by their parents or guardians, to Washington, D.C. to light the tree.
Please keep these points in mind before you get started:
- Follow the guidelines listed on the Outdoor Ornament Criteria sheet.
- We encourage the use of recycled and natural materials. No ornaments can be returned.
- Outdoor ornaments are used for only one year, so while they should be beautiful and thoughtfully created, valuable artwork is not appropriate.
- Review the forms before you get started and complete them when you send in your ornament.
- Send us pictures of you making ornaments or with your finished masterpiece. We would love to put your picture on our website!
Criteria & Forms
Where and When
The Colville National Forest is collecting ornaments prior to their shipment to Washington, D.C. The deadline for receiving ornaments is October 1, 2013.
Ship ornaments to:
Republic Ranger District
650 E. Delaware
Republic, WA 99166
Please contact our ornament coordinator, Mary Rourke, for more information or questions regarding ornaments at email@example.com or 509-775-7421.
Visit other areas of this website to learn more about the rich traditions surrounding the annual Capitol Christmas Tree, the details of Washington’s 2013 effort, and the many partners and sponsors who are working together to coordinate this effort.